Tuesday, October 5, 2010

Love Advice Needed!!

How do you tell someone you love them and have them receive it in the spirit intended? Is it selfish of me to want to express my feelings? I have never been good at this sort of thing. I grew up in a family where love wasn’t and still isn’t freely expressed verbally. When my sister had Sophia I made a conscious choice to tell her often how much I love her and it has become second nature. That being said I have never said the words “I love you” out loud to an unrelated person of the opposite sex. I have actually been in love before but the fear of rejection has always held me back. No more! In the spirit of living my life and not just getting through I want to embrace my feelings.

Therein lies the dilemma. Is it selfish to want to tell someone how I feel? I have heard some say that it is compliment or some other nonsense to be loved. Is this a true statement? I have also heard others say it freaked them out when finding out someone was in love with them. I want to be able to feel like I am being honest in my relationships without coming across as a stalker. Even as I write that I realize it sounds ridiculous. It is not exactly as if the person I am in love with is some celebrity type who has never even heard my name. He is a flesh and blood person and while I am pretty sure he already has a firm grasp on how I feel I want to make my feelings 100% clear. I want there to be no mistake on how I feel or what I want. At the same time I don’t want to lose him in my life. He has been the best friend I could as for over the last couple of years and part of me does not want to risk that friendship.

I suppose if he reads this post I may not need any feedback on this topic for this particular occasion but I want your thoughts anyways. Please, dear friends, help me!! When is it appropriate to express your feelings of love and is it okay to risk a friendship to see if it could develop into something more? Remember as you make your comments that this isn’t Hollywood, this is my life and while a “happily ever after” wouldn’t be frowned upon I just want some honest feedback.

On that note, I love you!!!

1 comment:

  1. Tricky topic Lucinda! All I can think of is how they teach us to make decisions in the D&C. Study it out and decide then ask Heavenly Father if its right or not and you will know. If you feel happy, peaceful, calm then its right. If not you will feel confuse, stressed and can't think of another word. I know there is a plan for you and He knows it so maybe he'll tell you! I know, easy for me to say, hard for me to do. Good luck! Sorry, I'm sure you know all that, all I could think of. You're such a nice aunt to be so loving to your niece, what a lucky girl she is! Good luck! Tell us how it goes! :)

    ReplyDelete